Welcome to the Mattaponi & Pamunkey Rivers Association
What is MPRA?
The Mattaponi & Pamunkey Rivers Association (MPRA) is a broad-based organization dedicated to the protection of the two rivers region’s natural resources. Incorporated in January, 1992, MPRA was formed by a diverse group of riverfront property owners, long-time residents, and citizens new to the area.
What is the mission of MPRA?
The Mattaponi & Pamunkey Rivers Association is dedicated to the history, ecology, scenic landscape, recreation, and economy of the Mattaponi and Pamunkey rivers. Our goals are as follows:
- To stimulate citizen interest and involvement in resource management issues.
- To increase awareness of local and regional conservation issues through education.
- To protect the ecology of the rivers, natural areas, agricultural and forest land, and other area resources.
- To preserve the historic and scenic qualities of the rivers and surrounding landscapes.
- To promote responsible recreational use of the rivers.
- To encourage development compatible with traditional land use patterns and a high quality of life.
- To promote a constructive dialogue between governmental bodies, industry, and citizens.